This started with my colleague declaring that he wants to work out and lose weight. So he roped us in to swimming and gym during lunch time. So the whole office knows we are working out and losing weight. It became a matter of principle now. If I said I will do it, I must. So this became a challenge.
And why is this an experiment? I know the proven way is to count calories and make sure input < output. So every meal has to be calculated. No carbs, more protein etc. I don’t doubt this methodology, but frankly I don’t think I have the discipline to follow through. Sometimes or rather most times, the stomach rules the mind. So I decided to just continue with my existing diet. I want to see what’s the effect after a couple of months. That said, it doesn’t mean I go gorge on sinful stuff. So this is the experiment.
This was run and walk. I couldn’t even do 400m of continuos run.
4km non-stop without much effort. I’m aiming to cut my 4km timing to under 25 mins.
So the observation and fine tuning over the last 2 months or so.
1. Tummy became softer. My guess is I’m losing visceral fats. So now I need to work on losing fat under the skin.
2. Still no major changes to my diet. I still eat my soy chicken and char siew. I added more fruits which I usually eat after the run. Yeah…this char siew.
3. The high intensity exercises helped to strengthen my muscles on the legs and butt. That helped when I’m running on slopes.
5. I use a heart rate monitor to increase my pace gradually. My eventual heart rate zone is about 80-90% of the maximum heart rate and I maintain that pace for the last 2km.
4. Clothing sizes are down. Pants by 2 sizes and tops by 1. That feels great.
The experiment is still ongoing. I will continue to update my progress. Maybe some transformation selfies? No. :)