After receiving a comment from my previous post on LDAP authentication on RHEL5, I decided to test it on RHEL6. According to the reader, Nick, there are some differences in the LDAP authentication in RHEL6. I tried it out myself and indeed it doesn’t work. Even getent passwd doesn’t work. Nick mentioned that configuration is needed in nslcd.conf. This is a file which I have not seen before.
In any case, I looked up on nslcd and found that it’s the local LDAP name service daemon. And on my machine, this daemon isn’t running. I started the daemon and everything sprang to life. SSH and getent works. In all my previous deployments, I made sure there’s was no caching on the local machine by disabling nscd (Name Service Caching Daemon). Now that there’s a dependency on another caching daemon, I need to consider the pros and cons again and possibly disabling the caching.
This is an interesting note for upgraders from RHEL5 to RHEL6. Thanks to Nick for raising this issue.